Vacancy: Sports Club Manager
Job title: Sports Club Manager
Reports to: The Walker Board of Trustees
Who we are: The Walker Cricket Ground Trust is a multi-sports ground and registered charity whose purpose is to provide excellent sports and leisure facilities. The Ground has a wealth of history and has 14 acres of outdoor space which includes cricket, football, a rugby pitch and four tennis courts. There are several outbuildings providing a dance studio, a nursery and housing a scout group. Inside the pavilion there are 6 squash courts, a fully licenced bar, function area and a well-equipped kitchen.
We are seeking an experienced, ambitious and driven manager to build the business and lead the team. As Sports Club Manager, you will be required to drive the business forward, ensuring high service levels whilst building a positive rapport with all members and guests. A leader with a business mindset, capable of assessing the clubs’ needs, listening to members and customer feedback, and someone who can motivate the team and improve the members’ experience.
Role: We are looking for someone that is an experienced manager / business leader with a ‘hands on' attitude. As Sports Club Manager you must be self-motivated and ideally have previous experience working in Management in the Hospitality and Sports sector. You will work closely with the team to ensure the highest standards of service are maintained.
The ideal candidate will be business minded, leading from the front, motivating the team and being highly organised. You will have a good understanding of operational standards, processes, and systems such as stock control, ordering, rotas, end of day reconciliations and management of function bookings.
You will work closely with the Trustees:
• to implement the sports and leisure growth and development strategy,
• to increase participation and membership of the clubs’ current and future sport and leisure facilities, in line with the new strategic goals,
• to manage and guide staff to ensure that every aspect of the club’s grounds and facilities are run efficiently,
• to utilise new technology to manage and improve the members’ bookings system and club resource management,
• to have overall responsibility for the running of the administration of the Ground and it’s and premises within the scope of the business plan and approved budget,
• exercise marketing and communication skills with the club’s members and other key audiences, to promote the club’s membership, social membership and events.
• to ensure that Walker Ground is fully compliant with all legislative practices related to the Charity Commission, employment, health and safety, environmental, fire, liquor license, equal opportunities, safeguarding and risk assessment.
• Experience managing a members sports club
• Experience of managing club hospitality, including bar and food facilities and organising social events
• Managing staff activities, performance and training including holding appraisals. Ensuring the club has adequate staff cover for all events
• Liaising with external sports clubs
• Experience managing and leading a team
• Health and Safety, fire safety, licensing laws and food hygiene compliance
• Managing budgets and operating procedures
• Managing projects, organisation and negotiation
• Marketing knowledge and skills
• IT, admin and database skills
Remuneration: Circa £32,000 to £36,000 plus performance related bonus. Based on experience.
Schedule: Full time.
If you are interested in this position please send your CV and covering letter to The Walker Ground Trustees to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: Monday 18th October 2021
Become a Walker Ground Trustee
Experienced and committed Trustees play a vital role in running and governing the Ground and we are currently recruiting new voluntary Trustees and Associate Trustees to serve on our board. To help increase the representation on our Board, we are particularly looking for Trustees who have experience in legal, financial matters/accountancy, commercial negotiation, planning, funding procurement and grant applications.
It is expected that all Trustees are club members, have experience managing or working within a sporting facility or resident in the area and sympathetic to the sporting aims of the Walker Ground Trust. Trustees would be required to commit time to their induction, attending Trust meetings, promoting and representing The Walker Ground Trust, building relationships with the local community and developing themselves and the effectiveness of the Trust as a team. We estimate that Trustees will spend approximately 10 days a year on Trust business. This would comprise a combination of Trustee meetings, sub-committee meetings, organising and supporting Walker Ground activities and fundraising events.
Main Trustee meetings are held approximately six times each year and there are a number of other sub-committee meetings covering; Finance, Ground Management (Ground User), Pavilion (Bar and Catering), Future Projects, and Fundraising, together with Club promotional events and AGMs.
This is an opportunity to secure the Trust’s future and to improve the sporting facilities on offer.
If you are interested in joining the Trust, as a full Trustee, Associate Trustee or volunteer please contact the Trust via email@example.com providing your qualifications and experience you can bring to the Ground and why you would like to become a Trustee or volunteer.
The Walker Trust are looking for volunteers to assist with advice or practical help on the following:
▪ Web Management and Design
▪ Funding Bid Management
▪ Project Management
▪ Health & Safety
▪ Charity Law
▪ Planning Law
▪ Employment Law
If you are interested in volunteering please contact the Trust via firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of your experience, what you can bring to the Ground and why you would like to get involved.